Twurdy (Too Wordy)
- Do your students often find web pages that are above their reading ability? Twurdy is a search application that gives each website a readability level. Twurdy provides the readability level of the page as well as a colour coded system to help users determine how easy the page will be to understand....
- "MyStudyBar is a tool which helps overcome problems that students commonly experience with studying, reading and writing. The tool consists of a set of portable open source and freeware applications....MyStudyBar puts a whole range of individual and essential tools at your fingertips. Together, these...
- Edmodo allows teachers to create an account, then a group space, with a code to distribute to students. The teacher can then share ideas, files and assignments.
Animoto for Education
- "Animoto provides an array of tools for creating videos in your classroom. Browse some of the features of our all-access pass below then check out individual case studies to see how others are already using us." (site) Please note that you will have to register to use the tools.
National Gallery of Art: Sea-Saws
- "Select photographs of natural and man-made objects, then assemble the pieces to create a seascape or an abstract composition. The BUILD tool helps you construct animated characters. ADD them to your scene as still objects, movers, rockers, or rollers. Hit the green PLAY button to set the scene in m...
- Reading Bear offers a fun, visual way to learn to read. Students can have words sounded out to them slowly or quickly. There are also flash cards to use.
Note: Also suitable for Tablets.
TitanPad lets several people work on one document simultaneously. Each user has his/her own colour to easily show different contributions.
- Create a blog for a collaborative learning environment with your students or as a communication tool for your school. Check out "10 Ways to use your Edublog to Teach".
- If you are looking to get your elementary or middle school students blogging, check out Kidblog.org, built by teachers. Features include: teachers can monitor and control all publishing activity within the classroom blogging community, teachers have administrative control over all student blogs and...
Make Beliefs Comix
- Create your own comic strips. Select from 10 fun characters with different moods and write words for blank talk/thought balloons to make the characters talk and think. There also are story ideas and prompts to help you create graphic stories. Teachers note suggestions for special needs.
- This amazing dictionary/thesaurus is a visual network of relationships between words. The different parts of speech and word relationships are colour coded.
- Storybirds are short, visual stories that you make with family and friends to share and print. A huge art collection is available for illustrations.
- Ribbet is an online photo editor built on the same platform as Picnik. Scroll to the bottom of the home page to see the various features and edit options.